The weather has been heavy and hot, the sky presses down on us, and it’s important to find ways to enjoy or escape it. How I stay happy in the heat:
– homemade limeade, skimpy tank top, and dancing around to Harry Belafonte songs.
– fresh crisp sheets at the end of a long hot day.
– an evening at the movies, giggling as Ponyu runs across the waves.
– our dim little apartment, which stays somewhat cool even on a sweltering day.
– the little black sundress I bought at a salvage sale last year, and which I wear at least once a week in hot weather. That was six bucks well spent.
– noticing that this batch of homemade focaccia tastes, feels, and smells so amazingly much better than even the nicest store-bought bread. Well worth turning on the oven.
– surprising The Fella, home from a late night at work, with a cold midnight supper.
– drawing a cool half-bath, gingerly climbing in, and then turning the faucet all the way over to COLD.
– Watching snowy-cold movies: Fargo, Cold Fever, The Shining.